[Mimedefang] [SOLVED] Q about Rejecting based on charset

Dirk the Daring dirk at psicorps.org
Sat Jun 25 20:18:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, I wrote:

>    I found some sample filter code on a website, and I'm trying to adapt
> it to what I want to do, which is reject E-Mail using these character
> sets. I'd appreciate a sanity-check of both the code and the idea.

Jim McCullars:
>   If you don't have foriegn nationals at your organization that may need
>to send/receive email in those character sets, then I don't see a problem.

   Nope, don't have that issue.

Matthew van Eerde:
> Implementation: looks sane

   OK, good.

>Idea: looks insane
>I think you're over-reacting.  This is verging on an RFC violation:

  OK. Ordinarily I'd agree with you. However, an analysis of 10 YEARS of
collected E-Mail has shown that 6 of those character sets are *only*
associated with SPAM. Only the "windoze-125x" sets show up in any of my
HAM, and then its very little - and I can drop those two sets out of my
auto-reject list.

  And MD already technically violates RFCs. I think that worrying about
this idea violating the spirit of an RFC "should" clause is like
worrying that the finish on my new anti-burgler deadbolt lock violates
the HOA-approved color scheme.

>>James Ebright
>Jim McCullars
>> Would this not be better served by leaving this to Spamassassin? If it is not
>
>   If he knows for a fact that he wants to reject those emails outright,
>then rejecting them in filter() and avoiding a call to SA is the more
>prudent choice.

  That is my objective - to ditch the garbage as early as possible. If I
can avoid invoking SA and reliably kill SPAM, that's fine.

  Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Dirk