[Mimedefang] FOLLOWUP Q - Using a db for subject lines to blo ck

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Jun 22 17:00:32 EDT 2005

Ken Cormack wrote:
>> You are now converting an O(1) or possibly O(log N) database lookup
>> into an O(N) or possibly O(N log N) scan through the database (N is
>> the number of keys in the database table.)
>
> Yes, it did sound like it could grow unwieldy.  I just didn't know if
> there might be some esoteric substring-match function that might have
> a practical use here.  :/  LOL

If you consider . to be a word-breaker, you're asking for full-text-indexing of your database.  This is perfectly feasible for the more advanced SQL implementations.  It's a little much to expect of a Berkeley DBFile.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer