[Mimedefang] Upgrading Bayes DBs

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed Jun 22 14:11:34 EDT 2005

On 22 Jun 2005 at 15:50, Richard Whelan wrote:

<snip>

> I'm now trying to use the sa-learn script to resync instead. The old
> bayes db is around 83 Mb, containing over 80000 for ham and the same
> again for nham.

That's an awfully large database for that number of e-mails.  Have
you put any bayes_* options in your sa-mimedefang.cf file which
override the defaults for bayes expiry, database size, etc.?  Note
that there's no advantage to letting your bayes database grow without
bound; it'll end up populated primarily by single-occurrence tokens
that never show up again.  My bayes system has processed
substantially more messages than yours, but the dabase files only
make up around 25 MB, with the tokens file comprising only 5 MB of
that.

If you *haven't* changed any of the defaults, you may have run into a
bug in the SA 2.6x expiry system which resulted in no tokens ever
being expired.  Do you have SA 2.6x installed anywhere, or another
system you can install it on to do the processing?
Try (using the 2.6x version) "sa-learn -D --force-expire" and see if
the expiry actually works.  Getting the database files down to a more
reasonable size will make the conversion to SA 3.x bayes much
smoother.

Once you've got a reasonable set of db files you should just be able
to transfer them to the appropriate location for SA 3.x and issue a
"sa-learn --sync" to convert.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager