[Mimedefang] Using a db for subject lines to block

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue Jun 21 07:40:42 EDT 2005

> 1. Updating the original rule required restarting sendmail with a kill
> -HUP, in order to re-load the array of subjects.  Whereas, like access.db,
> the database can be rebuilt on-the-fly with no sendmail restart needed.

That should be fixable.  Why can't you do something like:

ifdef(`DATABASE_MAP_TYPE', `', `define(`DATABASE_MAP_TYPE', `hash')')
Koksubj ifelse(defn(`_ARG_'), `',
  `DATABASE_MAP_TYPE -a<OK> /etc/mail/whatever',
  `_ARG_')

I'm pretty sure that's the key lines that define a db hash that is
updateable on the fly.

> 2. In the old rule, the entire array populated from the file would
> remain memory resident, and would get bigger in memory and slow to scan
> through, as the file got bigger over time.

>From memory, your new code is doing a tie on the db file.  It should use a
similar amount of memory, no?

> 3. Perl is a lot easier to read than sendmail syntax - far more people
> know it and can support it, than sendmail syntax.

No argument there but I typically write emails like:
In fact, if I ever snap, I will be known as the "Sendmail Killer" and I'll
write all my letters to newspappers with this syntax.  I probably should
give some props to DFS so maybe I'll give hints to the police to filter the
emails with MIMEDefang.  Perhaps we can get DJB to play a protagonist and
solve the riddles using qMail.

Regards,
KAM