[Mimedefang] problems with check_against_smtp_server and a cyrus backend

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Fri Jun 17 15:54:25 EDT 2005

This  is slightly off topic, I'm sorry about it.

I have an email gateway runing MIMEDefang on a FreeBSD 4.11 box,
the real mail server is the internal net and runs Sendmail/Cyrus IMAP
on another FreeBSD box.

I'm trying to make md_check_against_smtp_server work, but the problem
is the internal mail server always answers with 250 Recipient OK, like
you can see here:

-bash-2.05b# telnet 192.168.1.25 25
Trying 192.168.1.25...
Connected to pop.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail2.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.6p3/8.12.3; Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:03:01 -0300 (ART)
HELO mailext.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
250 mail2.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Hello mailext.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [192.168.4.34], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM: <fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar>
250 2.1.0 <fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <nosuchuser at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
250 2.1.5 <nosuchuser at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>... Recipient ok
QUIT
221 2.0.0 mail2.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

I think the problem is that sendmail can't know if the user is valid at this
stage, because it does the local delivery via LMTL and when the cyrus
mailer realizes the user isn't valid, it's too late to reply eith a 5xx
code.

Does anybody have similar setup with md_check_against_smtp_server working?

Any pointers on how to tweak cyrus/sendmail to fix this will be greatly
apreciated.

 			Fer