[Mimedefang] Email Filtering Article

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Thu Jun 16 12:07:13 EDT 2005

John Nemeth wrote:
> At that point an original tarball is downloaded from the master site
> for the package, the tarball is checksummed, and packed.  Then the
> sources are patched (either with patches that are downloaded and/or
> included in ports/pkgsrc).  After this, configure is run if needed,
> then make, make install, and finally it is registered as being
> installed on the system.

For RPM-based systems, a source RPM would probably have the same effect,
though it might be necessary to download the tarball instead of
embedding it as they normally do.  I recall seeing someone distributing
"nosrc" RPMs for some package that left out the tarball for bandwidth
reasons, so it should be possible.

--
Kelson Vibber