[Mimedefang] interaction between sendmail 'access' check andMdF's milter checks

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Fri Jun 10 17:13:25 EDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:16:58 -0700, Matthew.van.Eerde wrote
> I thought the sequence of events was:
>
> 1) Sendmail checks
> 2) milter 1 checks
> 3) milter 2 checks

Nope, each "phase" of the conversation passes through ALL milters (though most
milters only actually do something with the data phase) in addition to
sendmail. Since delay checks changes the order sendmail calls these parts, it
also changes the order the corresponding milter parts will be called (we run
run delay_checks here as well. I handle this type of issue by using
Sendmail::Accessdb perl module and checking the access file manually _if_ need
be, I do this in filter_recipients due to other items I also check for, but
store results in a state file for later checking if the sender authenticated
before acting on it, which is unavailable until filter_begin in MD).

For example:

HELO/EHLO goes to sendmail, then milter 1, milter 1++, milter z...
MAIL FROM: goes to sendmail, then milter 1, milter 1++, milter z...
RCPT TO:  etc etc

each phase can reject with a 4xx or 5xx to stop the conversation (or any other
valid return code for this stage in the conversation, adhereing to rfc 2821).

Jim
--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client