[Mimedefang] suggestion - filter_begin

Guido mimedefang.at.lists.roaringpenguin.com at starbase12.cjb.net
Thu Jun 9 06:21:43 EDT 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 11:49, dead hero wrote:
> code:
>
> sub filter_begin() {
>
> foreach $recip (@Recipients) {
>    if ($recip =~ /\<.+\@(.+)\>/) {
>       $domain = $1;
>       @mx = mx($domain);
>       unless (@mx) { delete_recipient($recip); }
>    }
> }
>
> }
> ---------
>
> i was  wondering if there are maybe possible problems
> you see with this solution, or maybe better ways to
> solve the prolem (maybe on the sendmail level?)

I see two quick problems (unless I am missing something here?):

1) MX records are not required, when non-existant the A record will be used.

2) Your users think the mail has been delivered correctly while in fact it has
been dumped in a big black hole.

You can fix (1) by changing the code to check whether or not the domain exists
and I think (2) can be fixed by rewriting the code as part of
filter_recipient() and reject there instead of accepting the recipient.

Regards,

Guido

--
This sentence contradicts itself -- no actually it doesn't.
		-- Douglas Hofstadter