[Mimedefang] MXCommand: connect: Connection refused: Is multiplexor running?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jun 7 10:41:52 EDT 2005

Nik Clayton wrote:

>     MXCommand: connect: Connection refused: Is multiplexor running?
>     mfconnect: Error communicating with multiplexor

> What I don't understand is why this is happening.  We start
> mimedefang-multiplexor with '-I 50' to specify a ridiculously high socket
> backlog.  If I run "md-mx-ctrl load" while this is happening the
> multiplexor reports somewhere between 5 and 7 messages being processed per
> second -- nowhere near the 50 backlog limit.

If md-mx-ctrl load works, but the milter is having trouble, could it be
that the milter is running out of file descriptors?  (Actually, in this
case, I'd expect the socket call to fail and not the connect call,
but I seem to recall some weird condition whereby socket returned a
descriptor greater than 1024, and the connect call didn't like that.)