[Mimedefang] smtp spoofing

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jun 2 13:50:40 EDT 2005

Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> I have this running at one site:

[...]

> This pretty much stops mail from our domain from being spoofed by users
> that don't authenticate, then I turn off relaying for everything that
> doesn't authenticate.

Uh, no.

You can't prevent me from pretending to be <matt.s at aptalaska.net> and
e-mailing to <someone at aol.com> or <victim at hotmail.com>.

SPF might be able to help, but probably not, because I can send mail
with an envelope sender of <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> and a From: header
of <matt.s at aptalaska.net>.  99% of the time, the recipient will only
see the header value and not the envelope value.  And it will pass the
SPF tests.

DomainKeys might help, but only if a site is using DomainKeys.  As
far as I know, only Yahoo does.

SMTP was never designed to provide strong end-to-end authentication.
About the only way to enforce it would be to require everyone to
sign every piece of e-mail he/she sends, and also somehow manage
the nightmarish PKI or web-of-trust infrastructure that implies...