[Mimedefang] Re: MXCommand: connect: Connection refused

Peter Kaldis pkaldis at pixar.com
Thu Jul 28 22:29:32 EDT 2005

I followed David's advice and straced the multiplexor process. Shortly
after sending David the strace output I received this response from him.

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Hi, Peter.
>
> Look at this:
>

>>open("/var/log/mimedefang/stats", O_WRONLY|O_APPEND|O_CREAT, 0666) = 7

>>write(7, "28/07/2005:14:06:44 1122584804.0"..., 376) = -1 EFBIG (File
>>too large)
>>--- SIGXFSZ (File size limit exceeded) ---
>>+++ killed by SIGXFSZ +++
>

> You need to rotate your log files. :-)
>
> The file /var/log/mimedefang.stats has become huge, and the kernel
> can't handle it.  You either need to upgrade your Linux version to
> one that can handle large files, or rotate your stats file periodically
> (and don't forget to restart MIMEDefang after rotating it.)
>
> I'd appreciate it if you could summarize my reply to the MIMEDefang list
> for the benefit of others.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

His advice was dead-on. The stats file was over 2GB, and was the reason
for the crashing. After I truncated it, everything worked as before.

Thank you for this great resource!