[Mimedefang] [off-topic] Help with AOL Postmaster Problem

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Jul 17 05:25:39 EDT 2005

Hi, all.

I've been on vacation for two weeks... just catching up now...

Kevin McGrail writes:

> However, on the more technical side, we have thousands and thousands of
> subscribers to the mailing list but AOL started rate limiting us on
> Thursday.  We are vigilant anti-spammers and run a tight ship so we are not
> blacklisted or BUT we aren't whitelisted either.  This is causing heavy
> queuing and complaints from customers all around.

I recommend one of two actions:

1) Set up a FallbackMXHost in your Sendmail config file, and dedicate a
machine to handling the large queues.  This will free up your main servers.

or

2) Set up a dedicated machine just to handle queueing for AOL accounts.
On your main servers, add a mailertable entry to route AOL traffic
to that dedicated machine.

I don't see you solving this problem without cooperation from AOL (Ha!)
or another piece of hardware.