[Mimedefang] Newbie Question

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Tue Jul 5 11:46:48 EDT 2005

Shawn Powers wrote:
> I have installed mimedefang this year (I work at a school district,
> summer is the "time of change" for all things technology).  In recent
> years, I ran clamav and spamassassin via the /etc/procmailrc file.
> It worked fine, but I'm looking for efficiency.  (As a milter like
> mimedefang, each mail is checked only once, even if it has multiple
> recipients).
>
> The thing that worries me, is I dont' see any reports of "clean" or
> description of spamminess.  Does mimedefang honor the settings in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (if I set the level to 4 instead of 5
> for example)?

It *should* (I have a system doing this, although I've left the spam
threshold at its default);  but depending on the fine details of your
complete setup (OS, install method, current config, etc, etc, etc...) it
MAY require sa-mimedefang.cf from somewhere.  (This changed recently,
but AFAICT it didn't affect the system I have calling SA from MD.)  Note
that some settings (those that control what headers SA adds to the
message) do NOT do anything in MD - you have to do that in your
mimedefang-filter.

>  Is there any way to add email headers that show "scanned
> for viruses" and "spam information" in each email?

Yep.  In filter_end() add a line like:
action_add_header ("X-AVScan","Clean");
(or whatever).  I think you can do this earlier as well;  check the
manpage.

In the default mimedefang-filter, in filter_end(), you should see some
code relating to SA.  You can use action_add_header() and
action_change_header() to add or change any headers you like.

Check the man page for mimedefang-filter for details on all of the
functions you can use and where you can use them.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!