[Mimedefang] ClamAV's Worm/Trojan/Joke/W97M classifications

Chris Gauch cgauch at digicon.net
Fri Jul 1 16:20:23 EDT 2005

> The problem here is you were not rejecting.. you were bouncing.. there is
> HUGE DIFFERENCE. With a 5xx reject you tell the MUA/MTA you are not
> accepting
> the message for delivery and why, you do NOT generate a bounce. (yesyes, I
> know if the IP happens to be a valid MTA it may or may not generate a
> bounce,
> that is a different situation altogether though and IMHO a rare one where
> you
> do nto control both MTAs and can fix it anyway).
>
> Bouncing virus infected email (or spam for that matter) makes absolutely
> NO sense.

In response I would just reiterate the point that Les Mikesell made -- a 5xx
rejection always (or should always) result in a bounce, whether generated by
your SMTP server or someone else's.  In circumstances where the mail stays
in your own environment and ONLY goes across relays where you are setting
the policies, what you are stating could feasibly be accomplished.  However,
as soon as you deal with SMTP hosts OUTSIDE your realm, your rejection will
ultimately end up generating a bounce back to the sender, whether forged or
real.

- Chris

Chris Gauch
Systems Administrator