[Mimedefang] sending relay has no MX record?

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Sat Jan 29 19:35:36 EST 2005

I believe an MX was designed as a Mail Gateway record for machines not
directly connected to the network.  Therefore, since an A record is for
machines that are connected to the network, an A record should be enough to
allow for mail to be delivered.

I know in practice that using only an A record works and is frowned upon.  I
also know that an MX record has been expanded more and more.  But from an
RFC perspective though, I'm not sure it's "incorrect" to just use an A
record without an MX record.  Hopefully someone else can comment but in the
meantime, I'm not sure it's a legitimate test for spaminess.

Sincerely,
KAM