[Mimedefang] Is it yet possible to run clamd (with mimedefang) as a different user?

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Tue Jan 25 10:07:41 EST 2005

Hi all,

I just upgraded my clamav (freebsd, ports) and again, it changed the
permissions on some of it's directories and caused it to not start as
user 'mailnull' (the same user that sendmail and mimedefang run as). I
would rather let clamd run as the user it wants to (clamav user) and
configure mimedefang/sendmail to allow this but my efforts did not work.

If clamd runs as clamav, it cannot access the mimedefang spool files to
scan the mail.
If I change permission on the spool directories, sendmail complains that
"local socket" is unsafe.

I did add clamav to the 'mailnull' group (I assume editing the
/etc/group file is sufficient).

So, I *think* the problem is how to convince sendmail that a group
readable/writable mimedefang spool directory is kosher. Anyone know the
answer to this?

TIA,

-lee