[Mimedefang] tagging mail sent to aliases

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Wed Jan 12 09:57:19 EST 2005

Um.. yes.. it does make a difference. I use this feature so we can
authenticate senders that are off my local network prior to some other checks
(thus enabling relay, a lesser SPF weight, etc), it happens before, or at
worst, during any milter calls as I check for the authenticated sender inside
filter_begin to disable some other checks we have coded into our mimedefang
setup here. Actually, I check in filter_recipient but save to a state file to
later decide a course of action based on whether or not the user
authenticated. So, yes.. it is possible.

By using FEATURE(`delay_checks') the rulesets check_mail and check_relay will
not be called when a client connects or issues a MAIL command, respectively.
Instead, check_rcpt is the first check_* ruleset to be called. After it
completes, check_mail and check_relay will be called in order. Moreover, one
argument can be specified for the delay_checks feature:

FEATURE(`delay_checks', `friend')
enable spamfriend test
FEATURE(`delay_checks', `hater')
enable spamhater test
If such an argument (at most one) is given, the recipient will be looked up
in the access map (using the tag To:). If the argument is friend, then the
other rulesets will be skipped if the recipient address is found and has RHS
SPAMFRIEND, i.e., the default is to apply the usual rulesets unless an entry
in the access map is specified. If the argument is hater, then the other
rulesets will be applied if the recipient address is found and has RHS
SPAMHATER, i.e., the default is to skip the usual rulesets unless an entry in
the access map is specified.
This allows for simple exceptions from the tests, e.g. by activating the
spamfriend option and having