[Mimedefang] Sendmail config (slightly OT)

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Jan 11 13:18:18 EST 2005

Dirk the Daring wrote:

>	2) How can I host multiple Domains on a relay without
>		being forced to add the Domains to /etc/access

    Yes.  I have one master incoming MX which then forwards to the final
servers:

    Master MX: serpico.pcraft.com        )
    Recipient1 server: spool.pcraft.com  ) - These three are different
    Recipient2 server: swiri.yeehaw.net  )   machines on the network

    On the MX server:
    =================
       Sendmail's configured with:
          local-host-names, virtusertable, mailertable
          genericstable, generics-domains, access
          blacklist_recipients, milter
          bl.spamcop.net, relays.ordb.org, list.dsbl.org, multihop.dsbl.org
          MIMEdefang, SpamAssassin, ClamAV

       And there's no local delivery on this machine other than cron
sending mail to root, which automatically gets forwarded to the actual
spooler.

        /etc/mail/mailertable
           pcraft.com      esmtp:spool.pcraft.com
           yeehaw.net      esmtp:swiri.yeehaw.net

        /etc/mail/local-host-names
        /etc/mail/generics-domains
           these files have ONE entry in them, and that's the MX's FQDN

        /etc/mail/virtusertable
           this file contains TWO virtual users, both are for root.  ALL
incoming e-mail gets denied or accepted based on each individual
(recipient) server's virtusertable.  This way I don't have to maintain
one master file for everyone's server.  They can do that themselves.

        /etc/mail/relay-domains
           Contains every single domain hosted across our entire network

        /etc/mail/access
           this file contains blanket domains and other addresses that's
been blocked everywhere.  For example, all the recipients servers at
some point blocked 'hongkong.com', so I put it in the master MX so it
gets stopped at the door instead of traversing the network back and forth.

    On spool.pcraft.com
        Sendmail's configured pretty much the same exact way, except for
milter, MIMEdefang, SA, and ClamAV.  The files are just used differently
(or not used at all.)

        /etc/mail/mailertable -> empty

        /etc/mail/local-host-names
           This file now contains all the possible domains this machine
accepts (final) e-mail for

        /etc/mail/generics-domains
           One entry, the machine's FQDN.

        /etc/mail/genericstable
           This contains all the translations for each user on the
server, so that outgoing e-mail will have the proper domain name
attached to it.

        /etc/mail/relay-domains
           Contains the local domain, and people outside our network
that use this machine as an [E]SMTP machine for outgoing e-mail (only
because I've been too lazy to setup pop_auth or any other mechanism to
authenticate through.)

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.