[Mimedefang] "Cant open tmpfile" error

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Fri Feb 4 08:42:02 EST 2005

David,

The problem turned out to be restricted perms on /tmp.  Instead of finding
them at 1777, I found them to be set to 755.  How they got like that, I'm
not sure.  However, we were testing some new backup/restore software on the
morning when the mail logs say the problem first started happening, and I
had the backup admin perform some test "restores to alternate directories",
to the /tmp directory on that server.  That was Tuesday.  I'm wondering if
the restore process somehow changed the perms on the directory, and am
following through with him on that hypothesis.

Ken