[Mimedefang] "Cant open tmpfile" error

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Thu Feb 3 16:29:41 EST 2005

Group,

For some unknown reason, one of my two MIMEDefang gateways has started
dumping the following into my logs...

Feb  3 16:16:09 mail02 mimedefang-multiplexor[574]: Slave 3 stderr:
MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile: Invalid argument
Feb  3 16:16:09 mail02 mimedefang-multiplexor[574]: Slave 3 died prematurely
-- check your filter rules
Feb  3 16:16:09 mail02 mimedefang-multiplexor[574]: Reap: Idle slave 3 (pid
9587) exited normally with status 22 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)

The box in question happens to be my secondary MX host (MX weight of 20, in
DNS).  It is also the "FALLBACK_MX_HOST" for my primary MX host.  Other than
those differences, the systems are identical in their configuration.

"Mimedefang.pl -features" reports the same versions of all relevant perl
modules, on both systems, as follows...

I'm using the embedded perl mode on both machines (and have been for
months).

I've double-checked disk space (both for blocks free and free inodes) on the
/var/spool/MIMEDefang RAMdisk, and even ran without the RAMdisk.... It made
no difference4.

I'm stumped, in that the two servers are the same, and both have been
running fine for months.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start looking for the
cause?

Ken