[Mimedefang] Fedora to replace sendmail with Exim as default MTA?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Feb 23 10:34:51 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Michael Sims wrote:

> I have to admit that I just don't understand all of the
> anti-Sendmail sentiment I see all over various mailing lists and
> forums such as Slashdot.

Well, historically, Sendmail had a bad security record.  It has improved
tremendously in the last 5 years or so.

I can understand why people don't like Sendmail, but I *can't*
understand why they'd pick Exim to replace it.  Postfix makes far more
sense; it has a much better design.  (Sendmail X uses a similar design
to Postfix and qmail: A bunch of small, mutually-distrusting programs
that do one part of mail delivery only.)

> I usually end up staying out of those discussions because I'm not
> big on religious wars but I always feel like I'm just about the only
> one out there that prefers Sendmail to these other MTAs...

Most big, serious organizations we've dealt with use either Sendmail
or Postfix.  In the UK, Exim tends to be more popular (probably because
it was written at Cambridge), but I haven't encountered a single large
Exim user in North America.

Qmail tends to be used by fanatics :-).  It's especially popular
with ISPs.  We haven't encountered much corporate or educational
use of qmail.