[Mimedefang] Slightly OT: Knowing the Spammers tools

Ian Mitchell trash at aftermagic.com
Wed Feb 23 09:49:33 EST 2005

Evil Bastigiges! These products are the reason why setting up an open
relay is not only dumb but dangerous and why blind gateways that auto
forward error messages can also be just as dangerous. Finally! The idiots
responsible for filling my firewall logs...

And thank you much for NOT cold-calling us ;)

As for the notes of different ways to fool tools like spamassassin and
mimedefang, any form of greek HTML and fumbled Base64 encoding that
represents itself as the content of the message should be suspect, and I
would figure it's only a matter of time before those techniques become
flags in SpamAssassin on their own. The only way to reliably send spam all
the time without the worry of various emails getting flagged by what ever
open or closed products on the market is to send the message to specific
recipients that ask for it, and to type it in plain english text with no
attachments and no offer to sell you anything. But then again, I guess
that's not very effective for use of commercial interests. hmm...

You know, I'd be curious how the purveyers of this software would stand if
challanged by the legal issues we raised a few weeks ago. Wonder if the
folks at www.sueaspammer.com have heard of that site? Now that would be
interesting... www.sueaspammerssupplier.com