[Mimedefang] Scary... Filtering on the outbound.

John Scully jscullylg3 at lifegiver.net
Thu Feb 17 22:47:49 EST 2005

Our company, which operates about 250 ISPs just implemented outbound
filtering for exactly this reason - we are seeing an increasing number of
subscribers sending spam due to worms.  We have always filtered outbound for
viruses.

In order to block spam but not block individual messages we began tracking
total number and average score of messages sent in the last ten minutes, one
hour, one day and last 30 days.  Since dial-up subs can have a different IP
address each time they connect we have to start by tracking back to the
"real" userid from the sending IP address.
A sub could send a few emails scoring anything (could be a personal
porn-o-gram to someone :) but the higher the number of messages the lower
the average score can be to trigger blocking.  Rate of transmission also
weights the decision - sending 100 in a few minutes is treated like sending
1,000 over a longer time.

We are still playing with the rules, but so far so good.  We no longer get
reported to spamcop or other block lists, and the only subscribers who have
had an issue are people who were really spammers - they all claimed that
they were sending out newsletters until shown the spam reports.

John Scully
www.isupportisp.com