[Mimedefang] multiplexor Cannot open bayes databases R/O: tie failed: No such file or director

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Thu Feb 17 12:03:15 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:12:17 -0800, Neil King wrote
> What locking mechanism are you using for the spool files?
> I do not know. I assuming default solaris handling.

Ok, if you are not using NFS for ANY part of the mail file system then you
are best off using flock, add:

lock_method flock

To your sa-mimedefang.cf file

Also, see if perl is running in embedded mode, that might need to be
adjusted, I do not know how well that behaves on Solaris so you might want to
not run it embedded for testing as well.

> NFS is present, daemonds running, but not directly being used.

If it is not being used, shut it off, this is something that should be done
to any services you are not using and is a first step in hardening your
server.

> What version of DB::File do you have installed?
> DB_file-1.810 and db-4.2.52 installed

I probably should have asked for what version of perl as DB_File is a
standard module with Perl nowdays. That is a current verion of DB_File so
probably a recent verision of perl, perl 5.8 preferably.

> Yes Solaris automounter is running.
> From the (evil) statement you are strongly hinting to shut it off, and
> this can be done because it is not in use.

Yes, the automounter is evil simply because I see many people use it for
things that really, if you have to use NFS at all, should have been
permanently mounted anyway (like home dirs, log dirs and mail spools). But
regardless, if it is not in use.. turn it off.

Jim

--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client