[Mimedefang] sign email with pgp by sendmail/mimedefang

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Feb 9 10:05:12 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, [UTF-8] Sebastian Jäschke wrote:

> I'm really new to mimedefang and wonder if the following is possible:

> We need sendmail to sign every email from a specific sender (authed
> by SMTP auth) with a default PGP key. This emails contains always
> text and a pdf attachment.

That's a really bad idea.  You've now lowered the security of the signature
to the security of SMTP AUTH, and I'm willing to bet that the person's
password for SMTP AUTH is a lot weaker than his/her PGP passphrase.

Also, this means you need some mechanism for unattended signing, which means
if the Sendmail machine is ever compromised, an attacker can sign arbitrary
files.