[Mimedefang] OT - STARTTLS read error

Alan Madill amadill at hwy16.com
Mon Feb 7 14:35:11 EST 2005

A couple of weeks back we began to see log entries on our primary MX (sendmail
8.12.5) at the rate of several per second.

Feb  6 04:57:57 scales sendmail[27125]: STARTTLS: read error=generic SSL error
(0)
Feb  6 04:57:57 scales sendmail[25785]: STARTTLS: read error=generic SSL error
(0)
Feb  6 04:57:58 scales last message repeated 3 times

A search found a fix for it...
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/STARTTLS__read_error=generic_SSL_error_(0)
.html

Now a secondary MX (sendmail 8.13.1) has started doing the same thing.  It has
pushed the load average up to 2.5 from its normal 0.2.  In both cases it seems like
there is a bounced message that starts the error loop and stopping sendmail,
deleteing the offending message from the mqueue directory, and starting sendmail
again stops the problem for a while.  Has anyone else seen this?

---
Alan Madill - Aspen House Systems
250 567-4200