[Mimedefang] syslog: invalid level/facility

Tim Boyer tim at denmantire.com
Sun Feb 6 21:40:27 EST 2005

I'm getting the following in the log file when receiving mail:

Feb  6 21:10:32 tolstoy mimedefang-multiplexor[28288]: Slave 0
stderr:syslog: invalid level/facility: good at
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl line 553

That's in the middle of the md_syslog routine.  I made sure
Unix::Syslog was installed and up to date.  It looks like it's failing
on the line

    syslog($facility, "%s", $msg);

This is a reinstall on a RHE3 machine - we moved machines, and went
from 2.44 to 2.49.  Syslog-ng.conf and the other configuration files
are identical to a known good working 2.44 system.

Commenting out

    if ($Features{"Unix::Syslog"}) {
    my $num_fac = convert_log_facility_to_number($facility);
    syslog($num_fac, "%s", $msg);
    } else {
    syslog($facility, "%s", $msg);
    }

allows the system to receive mail - but is not, I understand, an
optimal solution.

Thanks much for any assistance...

--
Tim Boyer