[Mimedefang] AWL

Button, Shawn sbutton at dtjdesign.com
Tue Feb 1 15:37:21 EST 2005

I had seen this documentation previous to my post including the
awlWrongWay portion on scoring and  understand what AWL does and how it
works. The reason I found this specific documentation not conducive to
my needs is this line quoted from the document which appears to be the
only part pertaining to my specific question:

"A "sender" is identified using both the address they sent with, and
their IP address, so spam claiming to be From you with forged headers
will fail to get through."

My experience is that every once in a while, I find that forged
headers/addresses are not "failing to get through" and I will see a AWL
scoring this a negative score. This doesn't happen all the time, just
incidentally. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this or perhaps I
was interpreting the documentation incorrectly and perhaps there was
some way to tweak this behavior to tighten it up.

When searching for awl, auto whiltelist and other variations on the
mimdefang archives I did not come across anything very useful so that's
why I thought to post but for some reason, probably user error, I don't
seem to have good luck searching the archives on mimedefang.com. :)

Thank you kindly,

Shawn