[Mimedefang] Re: Requiring FQDN in HELO

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Fri Dec 30 15:28:38 EST 2005

> For information: yesterday we rejected
>
> 117,119 for "HELO localhost"
>  35,427 for HELO with our own hostname
>  10,940 for HELO with our own IP address (and without [ ] too!)
>   4,629 for "HELO friend"
>   3,771	for HELO with our own mx name "columbia.edu"

About an hour ago, I added logging (only) for "localhost" and "friend" hits
(both something I hadnt been checking for, before).  Your numbers for these
are impressive, Joe.  After the weekend, I'll be interested in seeing how
many hits I see for these, in my logs.

So far, grepping the logs for each of the Ips hit so far, has shown that the
messages from these Ips have all been stopped by other rules.  The idea of
stopping them earlier in the SMTP conversation, with less horsepower devoted
later to blocking them, really appeals to me.

Ken