[Mimedefang] disclamer only for out going mails.

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Dec 19 09:01:49 EST 2005

--On Friday, December 16, 2005 15:17 -0800 Gary Funck <gary at intrepid.com>
wrote:

> Can you give an example of how this might be configured so
> that the "outgoing" gateway runs on the same box, and how
> MdF checks for the mailer ID?

No, since I have not been asked to do such a thing.  The question
just got me started thinking about how difficult it is to define
what outgoing mail is.  I didn't even mention the situation we
have here, and also at many universities, that the "company" has
many email servers, so that some mail outbound from the main
system is actually internal mail by some definition.

One extra that I forgot was to try to detect when a message already
had the disclaimer, so as not to add it again.

There are also issues about where to put it.  If it is put into a
separate MIME part, many recipients will not see it, because some
popular email programs classify parts 2 and up as attachments.  But
inserting it into part 1 destroys digital signature.

Joseph Brennan