[Mimedefang] Re: Requiring FQDN in HELO

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Dec 30 02:49:04 EST 2005

--On Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:57 PM -0500 Paul Russell
<prussell at nd.edu> wrote:

> We had to exempt
> our own net block from this restriction, due to the number of broken MS
> systems which HELO'd with their Netbios name.

My shop outlaws use of MS clients so I don't see this problem. (We use
Thunderbird or its equivalent in the Moz suite. And I personally am using
Mulberry.) Is this bug part of Outlook or Outlook Express, or does the
machine lack a domain name (as set by DHCP)?

I think I'd like a MD recipe that identifies violations from outsiders and
logs them. This should probably go in filter_end right after the spam
determination. (No point in logging real spammers. I just want to see the
FP's. Or at least identify the error variants with their ham/spam
classification.) (I don't see a recipe on the wiki for EHLO-checking. I
need to dig back through the archive to see how to pass the value from
filter_send to filter_end.)