[Mimedefang] Requiring FQDN in HELO

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Dec 28 16:40:49 EST 2005

--On Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:00 PM -0500 James Ebright
<jebright at esisnet.com> wrote:

> In addition, I believe rejecting email due to an invalid HELO/EHLO is a
> rfc violation in of itself (MUST NOT even). That said, the only ones I
> reject are the ratware ones that say they are me (my ip blocks or
> localhost or my own FQDN).  ;-)

You could still add SpamAssassin points for envelope violations. You can
either add some headers before passing the message to SA, or add the points
to what SA returns. (I found that SA does add points if the claimed name of
a "Received from" server doesn't match its reverse DNS.)

I reject messages that score 10 or more, and an invalid EHLO might be
enough to push a message over the limit, so I may be technically violating
the RFC. I won't lose sleep over that.