[Mimedefang] Mail delay due to "Cannot mkdir(Work): No suchfileor directory" error in maillog

Subodh Rawat (NPI) subodhr at networkprograms.com
Fri Dec 23 09:14:38 EST 2005

I dont think there is a disk space problem. Please see the df -i output.
Its shows /var is occupied with 2% only.

[root at mail /]# df -i
Filesystem            Inodes       IUsed     IFree        IUse%
Mounted on
/dev/sda8            1349248   32857      1316391    3%      /
/dev/sda3              26208      44           26164        1%     /boot
none                  257678       1              257677      1%
/dev/shm
/dev/sda5             426816      105783  321033       25%     /usr
/dev/sda9            6344576      108955 6235621     2%     /var
/dev/sda2             362112      7574      354538      3%     /home

Another thing I have noticed is that email clients (Outlook express)
shows error of "Please try again later" and after 2-3 minutes mail gets
through.
Can it be related to Max number of Processes and Max number of requests
a process can handle (/etc/init.d/mimedefang file).

I have increased MX_REQUESTS=500 from default 200 (Maximum number of
request a process can handle) and MX_MAXIMUM=50 from default 10 (Maximum
number of processes that can run).

I am monitoring it and hoping to have a good result after changing these
two parameters. I will post again if there is any improvement.

Meanwhile if any one has any clue, please let me know.

Subodh