[Mimedefang] disclamer only for out going mails.

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Sat Dec 17 10:30:04 EST 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:

> The best way to test mimedefang in my experience is:
> 1) use a test server.
> 2) if you don't have a test server, buy one and go back to 1.
> 3) realise that your own workstation can also run sendmail
>   and mimedefang, and use that as a test server, then go back
>   to step 1 (if you're running windows, then this might be
>   tricky, but then again, that's your own fault for using
>   toys in a workplace)
> 4) if you must test on production, kill the production sendmail,
>   edit /etc/services, find the line that says "smtp   25/tcp" and
>   change it into "smtp   26/tcp" (ie put "26" where it said "25"),
>   then fire up sendmail again, and telnet to port 26 to test stuff
>   out (this won't work correctly if you setup multiple listening
>   ports, for example on 587 or 465).
> 5) make a new sendmail config file with a separate queue dir,
>   separate pid file location, mimedefang enabled on a different
>   socket, and listening on a non-default port. Fire up a new
>   copy of mimedefang if necessary, on the new port, and start
>   sendmail with the new config file you generated.

A corollary to options 1, 2 and 3 (and in the name of completeness): use
qemu or something similar (vserver, Xen, VMWare, etc..) to create a
virtualized machine to test in.  This should allow you to use your
production environment on your desktop (whatever it is) quite easily.
This is certainly easier that options 5 and 5 :)

HTH,

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
core services  support