[Mimedefang] disclamer only for out going mails.

Gary Funck gary at intrepid.com
Fri Dec 16 18:17:34 EST 2005

Good point.

> I was going to suggest that what you need to do instead is concentrate
> on where the mail is going.  If the recipient is not local, then you
> need the disclaimer.  However milter sees only the envelope recipient
> as given, not the resolved address.  Aliases, lists, and forwarding
> could route apparently local recipients to other systems.
>
> So maybe milter is the wrong place.  In sendmail, the mailer is where
> you really know where a message is going.  So you could define a
> mailer for all domains other than your own, and with it, send all
> such mail to an outbound gateway host.  The gateway would just
> disclaim everything it gets.

This seems like it may be a useful approach for other situations
as well.  For example, right now disable MdF processing of mail
originating from our internal IP addresses.  One could argue that
might at least scan for viruses, but we don't do that.  In general
though it would be useful and better to determine "outgoing" without
explicit checks for IP addresses.

Can you give an example of how this might be configured so
that the "outgoing" gateway runs on the same box, and how
MdF checks for the mailer ID?