[Mimedefang] Greylisting

Brian Leyton bleyton at cpe-corp.com
Thu Dec 15 18:21:58 EST 2005

Charles wrote:
> Actually, you may just be able to use the greylist code.  In
> my case, I put the greylist code into production but
> commented out the actual tempfail call.  I let it run like
> that for about 2 weeks, during which time it is building up
> entries in mysql.  After the two weeks, I put the tempfail
> call into place, but all of my customer's main email partners
> had already cleared the greylist during the 2 weeks.  This
> won't produce a true whitelist, but it will dramatically
> reduce the impact when you turn greylisting on.

Ok, I'm trying your technique using John Kirkland's code, and something's
not working quite right (though it probably has nothing to do with my having
commented out those 2 lines).

Everything is running.  I used the create script to create the database &
tables, but it gave  me an error.  When I looked in MySQL though, everything
was created properly.  So moving right along, I built the mimedefang-filter
and mimedefang-filter-greylist scripts (the only changes were some minor
configuration things, like database password), and restarted MIMEDefang.
It's been runnning for about 40 minutes now, and I'm still not seeing any
records in the greylist_data table.

I do see 4 processes connected to MySQL using the 'greylist' userid
(corresponding to the 4 MIMEDefang slaves that are currently running), but
they all show the command as "sleep", and have nothing for status or "SQL
Command".  When I look at query statistics, there is definitely some
activity going on, but nothing seems to be making it into the database
(there are other databases in this MySQL server, but they're pretty static -
there's very little activity going on with them), so I'm assuming that
whatever activity is taking place, is somehow related to the greylist
database.  Permissions should not be a problem.  The greylist user is
currently allowed all priveleges (though this will change once I get things
working).

I don't see any errors in the maillog.  Anyone have an idea of how to
troubleshoot this?

Brian Leyton
IT Manager
Commercial Petroleum Equipment