[Mimedefang] dictionary attacks looking for a valid user

Mack roaringpenguin.com at bass-speaker.com
Thu Dec 15 17:04:36 EST 2005

without giving too much away about how i've implemented this.....

Basically -- Greylisting (triplet based)
Throttleing -- User Based agaist triplet scoring
Remote IP --Against tries/retries

Eg the last virus to do the rounds, that .Y or .Z depending on your AV,
basically tried to send x million virus to said addressess..

Spool em if over X and worry about em seperate (if doing user based
scanning!!!)

else set a throttle for domain based only allowing maybe 25 users trys

soon as u get a fail - grey list and out she goes (not an MD feature)

run sender verify & helo arg checks against sending host (as well as RBL
etc) (add to spam score accordingly)

Run Ldap against your recip server (you do run MD as a gateway not a
terminating MTA??)

Remember all valid mail servers will resend the mail within a reasonable
time period....
spammers won't

You can reduce your recieved spam by about 60ish% using this (since you
never receive it)

the rest is caught by spam assasin