Even sillier disclaimers (was Re: [Mimedefang] defang startup errors)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Dec 11 10:35:42 EST 2005

So I actually read http://www.metropolitan.co.za/email_disclaimer.html

Among other things:

Article 2 prohibits copying of the e-mail.  That means it can't be
archived.  It can't even be downloaded from a POP3 server and left on
the server -- that's copying.

Article 3 warns of civil liability if the e-mail is copied.

Article 14 says Metropolitan's disclaimer trumps anyone else's.

Article 15 says that the laws of South Africa govern the interpretation
of the disclaimer.

Wow!

I know that disclaimers are silly, but that one's downright fascist.  I'm
going to have to take a hard line and ban people from posting on this
list if they append such ridiculous disclaimers.  The list is archived, so
the disclaimer is inherently violated, and I certainly don't want to accept
any responsibility for breaking someone's disclaimer.

So I'm putting people on notice:  Find a way to turn off fascist disclaimers,
or I'm unsubscribing you.  I don't have the resources to react if some crazy
lawyer decides to try enforcing terms of an e-mail disclaimer.

I'm also going to change the wording on the subscription page to state that
posting to the MIMEDefang list means that any disclaimers or restrictions on
your posting are null and void.