[Mimedefang] slightly OT - Next Sober attack

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Thu Dec 8 13:43:25 EST 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> WBrown wrote:
>> A collegue sent me this:
>>
>> "The next planned widespread of 2005?s most prolific e-mail worm,
>> Sober, is scheduled to start on January 5, 2006 based on commands
>> hard-coded within the worm."
>>
>> http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=972
>
> "The attack date coincides with the 87th anniversary of the Nazi party"
>
> :rolleyes:
>
> Sober virus writers do this for money, they don't do it because of some
> nebulous connection to the Nazis.

Sadly, the Sober author(s) do seem to do it for the nebulous connection:

Here's F-Secure's writeup on the impending outbreak:
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/

And here's their writeup on Sober.Y (CME-681)
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sober_y.shtml

And do read the Sober.Q writeup as well (Sober is the fine virus that
brings us the "German Spam" we all know and love)
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sober_q.shtml

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
core services  support