[Mimedefang] odd behavior under load from boucnes

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Mon Dec 5 16:03:35 EST 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

> How big are your MIMEDefang threads?  If your load is 6ish you're
> probably delving into swap space, which is death for a mail server.

mimedefang.pl is ~25MBish.  Our graphs are showing that we're not swapping
during these events, so I don't think that's the problem.

> Consider using my spamc hack to lower MIMEDefang thread memory utilization.
> http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?SpamassassinSpamcSpamd

I've looked at it and am considering it, though we'd like to continue use
of spamd on this box for now with for the users (they get a *lot* of spam,
and their spamassassin settings are more aggressive than I'd like Mimedefang to
be).  Additionally, at this point I don't want to run AWL, Bayes or
Network tests in mimedefang, which said users need.

And to combine threads, as far as using tmpfs, that's an option, though
I'm seeing this on some smaller systems that are using tmpfs for teh
spooldir.  This makes me think that this is not the issue.

Thanks

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
core services  support