[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin 3.1.0 auto-whitelist lockfile problem

Todd Aiken todd.aiken at ubishops.ca
Thu Dec 1 11:37:09 EST 2005

> So ... a possible solution (I've not subjected this to any
> testing with any version of SA other than 3.1.0).
>
> Open "mimedefang.pl" and find the "spam_assassin_init" routine (line
> 6258 in MD 2.54).  Where it makes the new SpamAssassin object, add the
> parameter:
>
>     userstate_dir => "/dir/where/you/want/db/files",
>
> ... so the entire piece reads something like:
>
>     $SASpamTester = Mail::SpamAssassin->new({
>         local_tests_only   => $SALocalTestsOnly,
>         dont_copy_prefs    => 1,
>         userprefs_filename => $config,
>         userstate_dir => "/dir/where/you/want/files",
>         LOCAL_RULES_DIR    => $LOCAL_RULES_DIR});
>
> Usual rules apply for the directory - create it by hand and
> make it 700 for your defang user.
>
> This works for me on FC3.

Many thanks for that.  I've been wanting a long time to move the default
location out of root's home directory, and this did the trick.  Also
running MD 2.54 and SA 3.1.0 on a Slackware 10.1 box.

> Dunno if someone could put this into a nice configuration option :))

That would be nice.  :-D

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken
Systems Analyst - Administrator
ITS Department
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA

HTML in email is like putting an air conditioner on a motorcycle.