Off-Topic: Re: [Mimedefang] Re: DoS Question - Sendmail 8.13 hints

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon Aug 29 11:20:00 EDT 2005

Jim:

I seriously don't remember but we have had excellent luck using:

Bad Rcpt throttle daemon to block IPs performing dictionary attacks for
short periods of time

8.13 sendmail.mc features like:
 FEATURE(`delay_checks')
 FEATURE(`greet_pause', `1250')  dnl 5 seconds
 FEATURE(`ratecontrol', `nodelay', `terminate')
 FEATURE(`conncontrol', `nodelay', `terminate')

 and access file changes:
  ClientConn:             5
  ClientRate:             10

We also use these configuration settings to disable identd and to try and
lower the number of connections that are just trapped in a wait status:

define(`confTO_IDENT', `0s')dnl
define(`confTO_DATAINIT',`2m')dnl
define(`confTO_ICONNECT',`5s')dnl
define(`confTO_MAIL',`2m')dnl