[Mimedefang] Problems with SpamAssassin 3.1 RC1and MIMEDefang

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed Aug 24 16:50:45 EDT 2005

On 24 Aug 2005 at 14:10, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Nels Lindquist wrote:
>
> > The problem seems to be triggered when the load rises enough to spawn
> > more than MX_MINIMUM slaves.  Once those excess slaves have been idle
> > for a while and the multiplexor attempts to shut them down, they
> > become zombies.
>
> Really?  The multiplexor should shut them down eventually (with a kill -9)
> and reap them.

It's certainly trying:

> Aug 24 09:26:13 aerodrome mimedefang-multiplexor[32444]: Killing idle
> slave 7 (pid 680): Idle timeout
> Aug 24 09:26:23 aerodrome mimedefang-multiplexor[32444]: Slave 7 (pid
> 680) taking too long to exit; sending SIGTERM
> Aug 24 09:26:33 aerodrome mimedefang-multiplexor[32444]: Slave 7 (pid
> 680) taking way too long to exit; sending SIGKILL

After the SIGKILL the process stays in a zombie state until
MIMEDefang is restarted.

Eventually there are MX_MAXIMUM zombie slaves and no new slaves can
be started, so all mail is tempfailed.

Does anyone have a script for generating load on a mail server?  I
want to trigger this situation at will in order to get an strace log
for the SpamAssassin developers.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager