[Mimedefang] Compiling MD on FC4 - warning: pointer targets difer in signedness

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Sun Aug 21 02:42:29 EDT 2005

HI.

I'm getting warnings when running "make" to compile MimeDefang on Fedora Core 4.
I have done the following:
./configure (no problems)
make  (Here I get the warnings).

Here are some lines with warnings from the make command output:

md-mx-ctrl.c: In function ?percent_decode':
md-mx-ctrl.c:71: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ?sscanf' dif
er in signedness
md-mx-ctrl.c: In function ?buildCmd':
md-mx-ctrl.c:176: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ?percent_en
ode' differ in signedness
md-mx-ctrl.c:176: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ?percent_en
ode' differ in signedness
md-mx-ctrl.c: In function ?doCmd':
md-mx-ctrl.c:239: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ?percent_de
ode' differ in signedness
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -o md-mx-ctrl md-mx-ctrl.o -lnsl
test "" != "1" && strip md-mx-ctrl

More information:
------------------------
This is my first Mimedefang installation.
mimedefang version which I'm trying to install = 2.52
I am following the how to guide:
http://www.mickeyhill.com/mimedefang-howto
It is on a test machine (Virtual PC) with Fedora Core 4.
Sendmail is installed from RPM and running (version 8.13.4-2)
I have updated GCC and related packages from gcc 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 but it didn't change anything.
"make" version is 3.80
Other installed packages (most of them from RPM either FC4 cdrom or "yum"):
clamav-0.86.2-1
spamassassin-3.0.4-1.fc4
perl-5.8.6-15
Linux Kernel version = 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

Afterwards I did "make install" and it seemed to work fine,
but I don't know if it is OK or not.
I have not completed the installation and configuration yet so I don't know if it is actually working.

So, what can you tell me about these warnings:
pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ... differ in signedness
?

Thanks in advance.
Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org