[Mimedefang] Mimedefang, spamassassin and /etc/mail/spamassassin

Rudy Attias rudy at emuse.co.il
Tue Aug 16 10:55:03 EDT 2005

Hey all,

I'm quite new with this configuration but I seem to get the hang of it.
I'm running a mail relay(no local account) that forward to an exchange
2003 server in the lan. The relay is running sendmail and mimedafang
that scan using spamassassin and clamav. I have 2 main problems, both of
them are related about the way that mimedafang function with
spamassassin.
First problem that is partly solved is the bayes processing with
spamassassin, in order to enable it I have added first to the
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf the following lines which made no
effects:
#Enable bayes
   auto_learn 1
   use_bayes 1
   bayes_path  /var/spool/MIMEDefang/bayes
   bayes_file_mode 0666
trying to put the same lines to the /etc/mail/sa-mimedafang.cf created
the files required in the directory /var/spool/MIMEDefang/bayes,
bayes_toks and bayes_seen (is it all the files that need to be
created?).
I do not have local accounts so I'm not sure how bayes makes the
learning?
How can I check the count of learned messages, if I'm not mistaking
bayes will start filtering only after about 200 auto learned messages?
Please feel free to correct me and enlighten me.

Second problem is that I want to add some custom rules to spamassassin
by adding some file (e.g newrules.cf) to /etc/mail/spamassassin but I
have no indication that mimedafang read those, on the contrary it seems
that when I added the bayes configuration to local.cf in that directory
it didn't effect the spamassassin the is run from mimedafang.
appending to sa-mimedafang.cf is the only option? If not how do I check
or seen in the logs that it actually loaded those files?

Thanks in advance

Rudy Attias