[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin individual preferences using 2.47

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Aug 15 22:08:36 EDT 2005

Steve Jordan wrote:

> We are using MIMEDefang 2.47 and are interested in using SpamAssassin from
> MIMEDefang if it doesn't increase the workload too much. It appears to me
> that to use SpamAssassin individual preferences would require the use of
> stream_by_recipient() and that would probably increase the workload too
> much.

Not in our experience.  (That's how our CanIt-PRO product works).
Most incoming mail is for only one recipient; streaming the remainder
doesn't cause too many load problems that we can see.  You need to be
a little careful about how you handle the streamed mail, but it boils
down to book-keeping.  (For example, you probably want to action_discard()
rather than action_bounce() streamed mail that you want to reject.)

> And we are using Sendmail 8.12.10. We are keeping the individual
> preferences in a SQL database. Is there a different way other than to use
> stream_by_recipient() to do this or a later version that would help?

The problem is inherent in the design of SMTP; it's not a symptom of a
particular MTA or particular version of Sendmail.  Unless/until an
extension to SMTP is developed that allows one response per RCPT after
the end of DATA, we're kind of stuck.

> Am I correct in thinking that filter_end() is called once per email and
> not once per recipient?

That's correct.