[Mimedefang] Re: Code to remove winmail.dat files and replace them with the attachments.

Stewart mimedefang at f8.com.au
Sun Aug 14 23:08:56 EDT 2005

On 15/08/2005, at 12:53 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Stewart wrote:
>

>> Is it that the attachments are being processed  in the same
>> directory and under load some messages are being  processed at the
>> same
>> time as each other out of the same directory?
>>

> No, that's not possible at all.
>

>> That's about the only
>> explanation i can think of for the behaviour  i'm seeing -
>> although now
>> i think of it, doesn't MD create a temp dir  under /var/spool/
>> MIMEDefang
>> for each message it's processing?
>>

> Yes, and the temp directory is named the same as the sendmail queue-
> ID,
> which is guaranteed never to repeat for N years, where N is a very
> large
> number. :-)

ah i thought so, thanks for clearing that up..

>> Also i'm wondering about the '-f Work $path' of the original line as
>> 'Work' doesn't seem to be a perl variable or a parameter that (my
>> version of) ytnef seems to know about.
>>

> mimedefang.pl unpacks INPUTMSG into a directory called Work, under the
> current working directory.

which is the aforementioned qid-named directory, yes?

I'm still collecting info from my users but latest clue might be that
the offending filenames start with ._ - which suggests the
possibility of Mac OS X resource forks to me (and explains why
they're 0 byte length) but until i know more about where the
attachments originated from i can't be certain. But perhaps a regex
somewhere isn't dealing with dot files properly?

..S.