[Mimedefang] Specifying valid users?

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Sat Aug 13 15:20:28 EDT 2005

On Aug 13, 2005, at 8:22 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
>
>> 2) a second milter, milter-ahead
>>       http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/milter-ahead/index.shtml
>
> milter-ahead does exactly the same thing as
> md_check_against_smtp_server,
> so if md_check_against_smtp_server doesn't work, neither will
> milter-ahead.

Hopefully it's easier to invoke.  I couldn't get milter-ahead to
install here (probably wasn't intended to be run on a mac, or
something; and I didn't feel like spending hours trying to fix it).
That was why I stuck with aliases for now.

>> (I'm currently using the alias method, but I'm considering using the
>> md_check_against_smtp_server method; but for me it's not for an
>> exchange
>> server, it's for a communigate pro server; the only complication is
>> that
>> the communigate pro server is running on the same host as the sendmail
>> service)
>
> Recent versions of MIMEDefang let you specify an alternate port
> for md_check_against_smtp_server.

Good to know, but doesn't apply to my case.  My NAT gateway is
directing port 25 traffic to the alternate port upon which sendmail is
running, and CGP is running on port 25.  So sendmail just answers and
processes.  And the aliases just happen to direct delivery to
$USER at 127.0.0.1

That way, my local clients deal directly with CGP (easy SMTP-AUTH,
etc.).