[Mimedefang] using a RAM disk for mimedefang temp directory?

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Apr 27 15:55:30 EDT 2005

Preface: My mimedefang runs as user defang gid 107 and uid 107.  Hence the
info below.

#8 -- Using a temporary filesystem to speed up mail processing and lower
disk I/O

 - If you have tmpfs in your kernel and you have enough RAM, then processing
the emails on a ramdisk
   is the only way to go.  Here's a simple way to achieve that thanks to
Alan Premselaar & Steffen Kaiser
   for the mount hint:

   #Stop sendmail & mimedefang
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang stop

   mv /var/spool/MIMEDefang /var/spool/MIMEDefang.old
   mkdir /var/spool/MIMEDefang

   #add this line to /etc/fstab

   none                    /var/spool/MIMEDefang   tmpfs
uid=107,gid=107,mode=700,size=384M        0 0

   mount /var/spool/MIMEDefang

   NOTE: You'll want to place your bayesian database and auto-whitelist
somewhere else as noted by Bill Curtis!