[Mimedefang] HUGE problem with mimedefang

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Apr 22 14:11:54 EDT 2005

--On Friday, April 22, 2005 12:24 PM -0500 Mickey Hill
<mickey at mickeyhill.com> wrote:

> You're right. <slashing and burning>  Shouldn't try to be all things to
> all people.

This is really the crux of it. The scope is too large for a beginner. MD
has necessary interaction with sendmail, but if you're running a RH distro,
installing sendmail amounts to installing the RPM. (Even with an older RH
distro with milter disabled, you install the SRPM, edit the spec file, and
repackage.) All the other stuff can be broken out into separate HOWTO's.

Both Fedora and RH should use an RPM approach, which means finding all the
prereqs. You can either install all the Perl prereqs using CPAN and then
--nodeps (not --force) the MD RPM, or download and repackage them as RPM's
with cpanflute2 (part of RPM::Specfile). (I recall having trouble with a
package or two because cpanflute2 expects a certain naming convention that
they don't follow.)

I'd suggest taking the MD-specific parts of the HOWTO and putting those in
the wiki. That allows the community to easily contribute distro-specific
variations.